- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2.5 pounds butternut squash, peeled, deseeded, and chopped
- 2 medium golden beets, peeled and chopped
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cardamon
- ⅛ teaspoon allspice
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked 4 hours or overnight
- Heat olive oil in a small pan or in your slow cooker insert if designed for stovetop browning. Add onion and garlic and cook 3 minutes or until softened.
- Transfer onions and garlic to slow cooker. Add squash, beets, cinnamon, cardamom, allspice, sugar and salt.
- Stir in broth, water, and lemon juice. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or high for 3 hours.
- Drain and rinse cashews. Stir into cooked squash mixture. Purée with an immersion blender or in batches with a regular blender until smooth.
Back to Instant Sous article