Makes 3 pint jars
- 1 1/2 pounds
- whole okra
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 3 sprigs fresh dill
- 2 teaspoons whole spices, such as black peppercorns, red pepper flakes, coriander, or mustard seeds
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 ½ cups vinegar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt or 2 teaspoons pickling salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar, optional
- 3 wide-mouth pint jars with lids
- Wash and dry jars.
- Rinse and dry the okra.
- Divide the garlic, dill and spices between the jars.
- Pack okra into the jars leaving 1/2 inch of space from the rim.
- Heat vinegar, water, salt and sugar in a pan. Bring to a boil. Pour brine over okra stopping 1/2 inch below rim of jar.
- Screw on lids. Let jars cool then store in refrigerator.
Back to Edible Art
Recipe and photo by: Jennifer Cohen-Katz RD LDN, registered dietitian nutritionist and owner of Fresh Balance Nutrition, helps clients identify their personal nutrition style to become their healthiest self. In addition to nutrition for hormonal balance, she offers cooking sessions and VIP personal nutrition services. Find out more at FreshBalanceNutrition.com.