Did you know that less than 2% of all charitable giving in the US goes to women’s and girls’ organizations?
And, that’s why 16 women founded the Women’s Giving Circle of Howard County (WGC) 20 years ago. A fund of the Community Foundation of Howard County, the WGC is building a community of philanthropists to address the needs of women and girls in Howard County. As WGC ends its 20th Anniversary Year, here is a snapshot of efforts in 2022, and the last 20 years:
- WGC is a giving circle – a collective giving effort where we are pooling our dollars for greater impact
- We are focusing on women and girls because programs that focus on us are traditionally underfunded
- We are proud to be among the thousands of giving circles across the country that have given millions of dollars in our local communities
- Been part of the Howard County community for 20 years and are one of the longer tenured giving circles in the country
- Brought women together to pool our dollars so we can have a greater impact together than we might otherwise have alone
- Elevated the voices and stories of women philanthropists in Howard County as we’ve helped build a community of givers
- Invested over $1,000,000 to our nonprofit partners through over 250 grants
- Built over a $1,300,000 endowment from over 1,600 donors that will ensure that there are funds to support women and girls in our community in perpetuity
- WGC’s 20 Years, 20 Stories Series
- WGC’s 20 Years of Impact – By the Numbers
- WGC’s 2022 Year in Review & 2023 Opportunities for Growth
Our 2022 highlights
- WGC’s $200,000 in grants to our nonprofit partners, including through WGC’s Emergency Response Network
- WGC’s 22 events, including our Virtual Coffee Chat on the State of Women and Girls in Howard County, our Mother’s Day Happy Hour at Bra-La-La, our co-Sponsorship of the County’s Women’s Equality Day Lunch, our Sunset Happy Hour at The Community Ecology Institute/Freetown Farm, and our WGC End-of-Year Advisory Board Meeting and Celebration
- WGC Awarded the MLK “Living the Dream” Award by the Howard County Office of Human Rights & Equity
- WGC’s 20th Anniversary Annual Celebration: “Gaps and Growth in Philanthropic Support for Women and Girls”
- WGC’s State of Women and Girls in Howard County
- WGC’s Pink Party in the Park 20th Anniversary Celebration
- WGC’s Black Philanthropy Month Our Giving, Our Stories & Happy Hour at The 3rd
- WGC’s 20 Years, 20 Stories
- WGC’s Inaugural Big Give Launched
- WGC’s Year-Long Feminine Hygiene Product Drive
Our 4 distinct ways to give
We will do all of this because of your philanthropic investments through our 4 distinct giving opportunities:
- WGC Community Member – how women have been giving to the WGC for years – through our Emergency Response Network, Annual and Special Appeals, “In Honor” of someone including our new Barb Van Winkle Leadership Fund!
- WGC Sponsor Member – we are currently offering numerous sponsorship opportunities for 2023 and we hope you will consider joining us. Thank you to our 2022 Sponsors! And, to all 2023 Sponsors to date.
- WGC Legacy Member – this is a gift to our endowment or through planned giving
- WGC Big Give Member – we launched this roll-up-your-sleeves collective giving opportunity this year and 27 women gave $20,000 to 3 nonprofit partners
Our opportunities for involvement
There are numerous ways to get involved – here’s a few upcoming opportunities:
- Attend our upcoming WGC Membership Monday via Zoom on January 23, 2023, from 8:30 am – 9:00 am to learn more about the WGC
- Sponsor or purchase tickets to WGC’s Annual Celebration and Pink Party at Howard Community College on March 8, 2023 from 5:00 – 7:00 pm.
- Give products or a donation to WGC’s Feminine Hygiene Product Drive
- We look forward to engaging our members in new and creative ways
- Advancing our diversity, equity and inclusion efforts
- Building upon WGC’s State of Women and Girls in Howard County to inform our grantmaking
- Strengthening our core support to sustain and grow our circle for the next 20 years and beyond
- We’ve grown the last 20 years as a giving circle because of all of you
- We have relied upon and appreciated our leaders, members, nonprofit partners, funding partners, and our community the last 20 years
- Thank you for giving together through the WGC so we can have a greater impact on women and girls in our community, together!
This holiday season of gratitude and giving, and WGC leadership is deeply grateful to our donors/members, nonprofit partners, founders, sponsors, Advisory Board members, and all those who collectively support women and girls in Howard County.